As a BioCat student member, you are eligible to apply for a grant to support your travel to BioCat-sponsored courses and events as well as external research courses, workshops, conferences, and summer schools both nationally and abroad.
PhD students are prioritized, but post docs are also welcome to apply. In the case of limited funds, those PhD students who have shown active involvement in BioCat-sponsored courses and events (particularly the annual conference) will be prioritized over others.
What is covered:
- Travel/lodging expenses from 1 day up to 2 weeks
- VISA application fees
- Registration fees
What is not covered:
- Dietary expenses/meals
- Lab devices, facilities, or other research expenses
Travel grant procedures for BioCat-sponsored events
If you are a BioCat member, it is not necessary to submit an application defending your interest in a BioCat sponsored event (such as BioCat courses, workshops, and the annual conference). Simply register to the course/conference/etc before the deadline and book your travel and accommodations once registration has been confirmed. Generally you will pay for this yourself and be reimbursed later. Please use Berg Hansen to book your flight and be sure to keep your boarding passes for the reimbursement process. When you have returned from your travel, follow the reimbursement procedures that are found here. This must be done within 4 weeks.
Travel grant procedures for external events
If you would like to attend an event not connected to BioCat, you must apply for approval. Your application must be submitted to BioCat at least three weeks ahead of expected travel.
All documents must be combined into ONE PDF, which can be emailed to the BioCat administration. Please include:
- A completed copy of this form, which includes a statement of motivation and a budget.
- A letter of support from your supervisor.
- A copy of the course program (ETCS included), workshop program, or conference program.
You will received an answer on your application as soon as possible. When your application has been approved, you can move forward with booking your trip. Generally you will pay for this yourself and be reimbursed later. Please use Berg Hansen to book your flight and be sure to keep your boarding passes for the reimbursement process.
There are several tasks you are responsible for when the trip is over:
- Write a post on the BioCat Facebook page about your travel (including pictures) that encourages others to apply for grants.
- Compile a ½-1 page report detailing the stay, deliverable to BioCat administration.
- Submit your reimbursement claim. This must be done no later than 4 weeks following travel.