As a BioCat student member, you are eligible to apply for a grant to support your travel to BioCat-sponsored courses and events as well as external research courses, workshops, conferences, and summer schools both nationally and abroad.
As of summer of 2023, students who have not shown active involvement in BioCat courses, workshops, or events are eligible for a maximum of 15.000,- nok per year in travel grant funding. This can be spent in one grant, or over several grants. PhD students who have shown active involvement in BioCat-sponsored courses, workshops and events (particularly the annual conference) will be eligible for funding over 15.000,- at the discretion of the BioCat administration.
Please note that due to these changes, there is a new application form that must be downloaded as of summer 2023. Do not use the old form.
What is covered:
- Travel expenses (plane, bus, train, etc)
- Lodging/hotel expenses up to 2 weeks. BioCat will cover up to 1.000,- nok or equivalent per night.
- VISA application fees
- Registration fees
What is not covered:
- Dietary expenses/meals
- Lab devices, facilities, or other research expenses
- Any printing fees (posters etc)
Travel grant procedures for BioCat courses and events
If you are a BioCat member, it is not necessary to submit an application defending your interest in a BioCat sponsored event (such as BioCat courses, workshops, and the annual conference). Simply register to the course/conference/etc before the deadline and book your travel and accommodations once registration has been confirmed. You will pay for this yourself and be reimbursed later. Please use Berg Hansen to book your flight and be sure to keep your boarding passes for the reimbursement process. Also note that BioCat will cover only up to 1.000,- nok per night in lodging expenses. When you have returned from your travel, follow the reimbursement procedures that are found here. This process must be started within 4 weeks.
Travel grant procedures for external events
If you would like to attend an event not connected to BioCat, you must apply for approval. Your application must be submitted to BioCat at least three weeks ahead of expected travel.
All documents must be combined into ONE PDF, which can be emailed to the BioCat administration. Please include:
- A completed copy of this form, which includes a budget. Please note that this is a new form for summer 2023, and the old form cannot be used.
- A statement of motivation outlining the importance of this activity to your professional and/or personal growth
- A letter of support from your supervisor.
- A copy of the course program (ETCS included), workshop program, or conference program.
You will received an answer on your application as soon as possible. When your application has been approved, you can move forward with booking your trip. Generally you will pay for this yourself and be reimbursed later. Please use Berg Hansen to book your flight and be sure to keep your boarding passes for the reimbursement process.
There are several tasks you are responsible for when the trip is over:
- Write a post on the BioCat Facebook page about your travel (including pictures) that encourages others to apply for grants.
- Compile a ½-1 page report detailing the stay, deliverable to BioCat administration.
- Submit your reimbursement claim. This must be done no later than 4 weeks following travel.